AnnaDoesAmsterdam

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Saturday Sept. 9 - Day Trip To Edam

The crew of Pad22 (my roommates, the residents of Bijltjespad 22) decided to take a bike trip to the local town of Edam. It's a small town located 20km north of Amsterdam known for its cheese market, not visited by many tourists. In its heydey it was a major port town. With the country's flatness and loads of bike paths, we thought it would be a good idea. It took us 2 hours to get to Edam, with a brief stop in the town of Monnickendam to check out the St. Nicolas Church. The route was excellent and well marked, but the wind was very brutal at times. Eventhough I was the instigator of the trip, I considered dropping dead a few times en route to Edam. The trip back was much easier and took only 1.5, but we stopped at a local fair to go on a few "suicide rides". For the first time in my life, a ride made me feel sick, and afterwards my roommate Jacquie and I sat on the curb, glossy eyed and frail.

Brendan (Australian roommate) in an Edam cheese shop









Streets of Edam









A house in Edam









Town Hall













Edam's famous white bridges








The bike path ran along a dike along the coast line.
Edam's port and beach

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

that looks like so much fun anna!
I can't wait to come visit you!

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home