AnnaDoesAmsterdam

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Zaanse Schans - Sept. 23

A day trip to a little historic town outside of Amsterdam, showing life in a traditional Dutch village. It was a cute town, but hard to get into the mood because of all the tourists! I wonder how empty the country will be when the winter hits and the tourists go away.

What makes Zaanse Schans a traditional village are all the working windmills. With my Dutch friend Renee.










The village had many tourist shops disguised as museums. During the clog making demonstration he made a pair of clogs in less than 5 minutes!










Gettin jiggy...










Taken from the top of a windmill where they made pigments for art supplies













One of these small green houses is the first Albert Heijn store. AH is a major grocer in the Netherlands, and the third largest grocer in the world, owning many American chains.

3 Comments:

Blogger Joanna said...

hey Anna,
i'm looking into coming over for a visit over Reading Week. If I come, that would mean spending my birthday in Amsterdam Anna-styles!

1:48 PM  
Blogger Sofie Rycken said...

Haha, that clog picture made me laugh out loud. I miss you guys :(

11:21 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

yes the clog pictures are awesome! i still remember what you wrote in your goodbye letter to me: "i'll see you soon, on my side of the ocean". i can't believe that time has come; you gotta visit soon, and i'll try to head out there as well!

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home