AnnaDoesAmsterdam

Friday, October 13, 2006

Anna's Amsterdam

I had my first visitor in Amsterdam, former roommate Kelly, which also meant I had a personal photographer. So here are a few pictures of me in Amsterdam, in some of the locations that I pass through on a regular basis. Because Amsterdam is a small city geographically, everything is just minutes away. You could say this is my new hood.

Dam; in the background you can see the Koninklijk Paleis, the official residence of the queen, although she actually lives in Den Haag. To the right is the Nieuwe Kerk (the new church; second oldest in Amsterdam), the coronation church of the royal family. When Napoleon took over Europe he gave the Netherlands to his brother Louis, who lived in this palace. However, his brother actually started to like and care for the country, causing friction with Napoleon. When he made his first address to the people as their new king, he even made an attempt to speak Dutch: "I am your new duck" is what he said. Apparently "duck" and "king" are similar.









The narrowest house in Amsterdam












Nieuwmarkt (New Market) and Waag. Originally part of the city's fortifications, but served a variety of funcitons later. It was a spot for public executions, as well as where Rembrandt painted the gorey autopsy pics. This is also the headquarters of the Waag Society, a secret society I will be working on a project for. Well it's not really a secret society, but to get to the meeting room you use a small side door, where you a first buzzed in, and then climb a very narrow staircase. I like to pretend.









The Oude Kerk (oldest church) as seen from land in the Red Light district












In the Red Light district; it really looks like any part of the city, and is utterly safe to walk through. You're not allowed to take pictures of the girls in the storefronts.









There is a walkway over the river Ij that goes from my building to Centraal Station.









There are many draw bridges in Amsterdam. This one is on the main street by my house. It's my new excuse for being late: the bridge was up. Another excuse frequently used by the Dutch: my bike was stolen. Luckily I never had to use the latter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home